Yet another rep member of the Senate Commerce, Science, & Transportation Committee

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Marco Rubio on the age of the Earth:

I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

I guess Marco has never heard of the high school science concept of radiometric dating? Being one with Gov. Perry on science is not necessarily a strong position!

On climate change:

"I don't think there's the scientific evidence to justify it," Rubio said.

On the future:

Rubio has already gone to Iowa with 2016 in mind.
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#2 Duquesne Frog

Duquesne Frog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Marco Rubio on the age of the Earth:

I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

I guess Marco has never heard of the high school science concept of radiometric dating? Being one with Gov. Perry on science is not necessarily a strong position!

On climate change:

"I don't think there's the scientific evidence to justify it," Rubio said.

On the future:

Rubio has already gone to Iowa with 2016 in mind.

Jeebus ...
Worse? How can things get any worse?!?! Take a look around! We're standing at the threshold of hell!

The food you love, the time you deserve® ...

#3 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I've got no issue with his answer on the Earth's age - he's essentially saying 'I dont give a sh1t...why is this an issue?'.

Global warming, OTOH......
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#4 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I've got no issue with his answer on the Earth's age - he's essentially saying 'I dont give a sh1t...why is this an issue?'.

Issue: If he doesn't give a sh1t about science but does about GDP and economic growth, he might consider serving on committees where he does, in fact, give a sh1t about the subject matter.
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#5 FriskyFrog

FriskyFrog

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,268 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Issue: If he doesn't give a sh1t about science but does about GDP and economic growth, he might consider serving on committees where he does, in fact, give a sh1t.

Hey, he's not a scientist, man. Why you bringin' him down?
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
--Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons

#6 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Issue: If he doesn't give a sh1t about science but does about GDP and economic growth, he might consider serving on committees where he does, in fact, give a sh1t about the subject matter.

Moving goalpost alert.....not that he doesn't give a sh1t about science, only about the age of the Earth. Two different issues. And if I'm him, I don't care either (even if I do think young Earthers are batsh1t crazy).

And it is the COMMERCE and TRANSPORTATION committee (which have a little something to do with economic growth), too....although that seems to be an odd pairing.

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#7 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I have a problem with it. He's confusing science with myth. I don't want them teaching the extra Mormon planets in astronomy either.

#8 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have a problem with it. He's confusing science with myth. I don't want them teaching the extra Mormon planets in astronomy either.

No, he's not. he's saying it's not an issue (while attempting to politically placate the nuts to the right). And it's not.

#9 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Moving goalpost alert.....not that he doesn't give a sh1t about science, only about the age of the Earth. Two different issues. And if I'm him, I don't care either (even if I do think young Earthers are batsh1t crazy).

And it is the COMMERCE and TRANSPORTATION committee (which have a little something to do with economic growth), too....although that seems to be an odd pairing.

I think the two data points provide a pretty solid goalpost for the original position: He is not a person who should be on a science committee. Just like Akin and other reps.

Posted Image

#10 Duquesne Frog

Duquesne Frog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've got no issue with his answer on the Earth's age - he's essentially saying 'I dont give a sh1t'.

I do. First, he states, "I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow." While true superficially, at a deeper level, science and technology has a LOT to do with how our economy is going to grow. And he, as a Senator on the (EXODUS 20:7--I'm an Idiot!) committee which determines science policy and potential POTUS candidate, is essentially rejecting science as the best means for understanding the material world. There is no other self-consistent theory of geological history that argues the Earth was made in 7 literal days and is only 6000 years old. There is only a group of people who believe in a literal inerrant Bible, written by people who existed 2-3 millennia before modern science and technology existed, who got out a calculator and added up a bunch of "begats" in Genesis and Exodus based on no physical evidence whatsoever. If he doesn't give a (Mexican waste) about science, then get off the committee that determines our national policy regarding it.

Second, "I'm not a scientist" is a bullchit excuse. You don't have to be a career scientist to understand and adhere to the basic principles of scientific inquiry. You don't have to be a career scientist to understand what consists of basic observed evidence and what does not. Rubio is a lawyer ... does that mean he's unable to understand the fundamental precepts of anything other than law?

Third, if we're going to pay lip-service to this concept of American "exceptionalism" as those in his party like to do, then how can he revel in both his own SEVERE lack of exceptionalism is a critical field like science and technology AND ignore one of the more shining examples of American exceptionalism that this society has going for it ... our unparalleled innovation in science and technology.

If you think gigging DUSHEE about BYU-SJfSU pisses him off ...
Worse? How can things get any worse?!?! Take a look around! We're standing at the threshold of hell!

#11 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think the two data points provide a pretty solid goalpost for the original position: He is not a person who should be on a science committee. Just like Akin and other reps.

One out of 2, anyways.

Fine....he can attend 2 meetings out of every 3, then.........

#12 Duquesne Frog

Duquesne Frog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

One out of 2, anyways.

No, based on his rationale, he shouldn't be on any committee other than maybe Judicial. He's got no training in economics or trade or transportation, either ...

#13 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

One out of 2, anyways.

He is on 4 subcommittees of that larger committee which I think provide data as to what policies he is trying to affect:

Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet
Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
Subcommittee on Science and Space
Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security

3 out of 4 is waaayyy bad.

Posted Image

#14 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

If you based committee membership based on expertise in an area of specialization, you'd have a LOT of empty committees.....

The chairman of said committee, FWIW, is Jay Rockefeller - a career politician with a degree in History and Far East Languages.

#15 Duquesne Frog

Duquesne Frog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

If you based committee membership based on expertise in an area of specialization, you'd have a LOT of empty committees.....

The chairman of said committee, FWIW, is Jay Rockefeller - a career politician with a degree in History and Far East Languages.

Agree. But if you're going to be on said committee, don't revel in your willful ignorance of the issues for which you are ostensibly making policy.

#16 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I think being willfully ignorant and merely ignorant are two different things.

Posted Image

#17 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Avoiding the question is not being ignorant. it's being a politician.

The global warming thing.....THAT'S being ignorant.......probably.....

#18 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

BTW, I am so hopeful for Chris Christie. I think he has a chance if he refuses to kiss the ring. He needs to piss off the wacko base so hard that they leave. IMO, this would be a good issue.

I'm putting too much hope in him, I know.

#19 crunch

crunch

Darrell Lester

• 13,536 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Avoiding the question is not being ignorant. it's being a politician.

The global warming thing.....THAT'S being ignorant.......probably.....

We always see global warming snippets. Usually the context is lost. Is the Earth getting warmer? Yes, according to recorded data. Is it primarily due to bad man? Or, is it due to meteorological cycles that over-span the time of accurate human recording? Does bad man and his car affect the rapidity of the phenomenon? Probably, about as much as more cows farting.

I once read some junk science that 1 active volcano (even underwater) spews more 'pollution' into the atmosphere in 1 day, than all the cars on earth will in one year.

I'm no scientist, man, but shouldn't we regulate volcanoes?
"I'll say it again, I'm a Frog till I die!"

#20 FriskyFrog

FriskyFrog

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,268 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Oh no...
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me