Should [Gary Danielson] Cheney have gotten a new heart?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes.

I don't think you have the correct faux rage attitude, sir!
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#22 Poison Arrow Frog

Poison Arrow Frog

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Serious question: Would Cheney have been eligible for a heart transplant in year 10 of Obamacare?

I honestly don't think there will be much (if any) transplant surgeries with obamacare. The issue is not the lack of organs (which is a problem) but rather the incredible expense that organ transplants will cost.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. --Friedrich Nietzche

#23 HFrog71

HFrog71

Recovered Workaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Serious question: Would Cheney have been eligible for a heart transplant in year 10 of Obamacare?

Probably irrelevant.

Heard an interview with the head of a regional transplant facility. She explained that in cases like Cheney (e.g. old), the transplant approval board has greater latitude--older patients can be approved to receive organs from much older donors. Thus, she explained, although Cheney would not have been approved for receipt of a healthy organ from a prime (younger) donor, he would nevertheless be an acceptable recipient for an organ that would not be suitable for a younger recipient.

The specific example she used was that Cheney might not be approved to receive a heart from a 20- or 30 year old donor (prime), he could qualify for a heart from a 50+ year old donor (sub-prime).
Dumb suggests an absence of knowledge; stupid goes to judgment. --Jay Cronley

You can't fix stupid. --Ron White

#24 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

the governments 'Death Panels'.

http://www.star-tele...nels-since.html
Since 1999, Texas has given hospital "ethics panels" the authority to end care even if the patient or family wants to continue.
It's called the Advance Directives Act. The Texas Senate bill passed in 1999.
http://en.wikipedia...._Directives_Act
The Texas Advance Directives Act (1999), also known as the Texas Futile Care Law, describes certain provisions that are now Chapter 166 of the Texas Health & Safety Code. Controversy over these provisions mainly centers on Section 166.046, Subsection (e),1 which allows a health care facility to discontinue life-sustaining treatment ten days after giving written notice if the continuation of life-sustaining treatment is considered futile care by the treating medical team.

#25 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

http://www.star-tele...nels-since.html
Since 1999, Texas has given hospital "ethics panels" the authority to end care even if the patient or family wants to continue.
It's called the Advance Directives Act. The Texas Senate bill passed in 1999.
http://en.wikipedia...._Directives_Act
The Texas Advance Directives Act (1999), also known as the Texas Futile Care Law, describes certain provisions that are now Chapter 166 of the Texas Health & Safety Code. Controversy over these provisions mainly centers on Section 166.046, Subsection (e),1 which allows a health care facility to discontinue life-sustaining treatment ten days after giving written notice if the continuation of life-sustaining treatment is considered futile care by the treating medical team.

Any guesses on who the presiding officer of the Texas State Senate was at the time?
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#26 weklfrog

weklfrog

Darrell Lester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Any guesses on who the presiding officer of the Texas State Senate was at the time?

What is Rick Perry?

I will take Death Panels for $300 Alex.

#27 gohornedfrogs

gohornedfrogs

Abe Martin

• Tier 1
  • 17,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Probably irrelevant.

Heard an interview with the head of a regional transplant facility. She explained that in cases like Cheney (e.g. old), the transplant approval board has greater latitude--older patients can be approved to receive organs from much older donors. Thus, she explained, although Cheney would not have been approved for receipt of a healthy organ from a prime (younger) donor, he would nevertheless be an acceptable recipient for an organ that would not be suitable for a younger recipient.

The specific example she used was that Cheney might not be approved to receive a heart from a 20- or 30 year old donor (prime), he could qualify for a heart from a 50+ year old donor (sub-prime).

My mother, in her late 60s, received a kidney transplant from a 50ish donor.

I don't claim to know any details on the health care bill, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be suspicious about "end of life" care, and how transplants may be affected by that.

#28 HFrog71

HFrog71

Recovered Workaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I don't claim to know any details on the health care bill, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be suspicious about "end of life" care, and how transplants may be affected by that.

I don't believe there's a boogeyman "death panel" lurking inside the new health care act.

However, I think the old-fashioned law of "supply and demand" will impact my generation (baby boomers), esp. concerning transplants. The demand will outstrip the supply as us old farts grow (even) older and our parts start breaking down. Unless and until medical science discovers new cures, treatment, and drugs, that is.

In the meantime, I've done my living will, donor card, and DNR documents.

As my avatar once said, 'Life is a zero sum game.' When it's time, it's time.
Dumb suggests an absence of knowledge; stupid goes to judgment. --Jay Cronley

You can't fix stupid. --Ron White

#29 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I don't believe there's a boogeyman "death panel" lurking inside the new health care act.

So-called 'death panels', as they apply to transplants, already exist. Patients will be rejected for transplants for any one of a number of reasons. So the new health care bill, if it contains such a provision or something similiar, really doesn't change much.
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

KillerFrogs Sponsor

Click here for 30% off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users