121 replies to this topic

#1 Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

I ran across a VHS tape of the 1998 Sun Bowl. 57 Frog had it at his house and I was lucky enough to borrow it from my mom. He had several games on tape he would watch repeatedly.

Watching the game again today really drove home the fact that this game as much as any other turned this program around. CBS showed a graphic that our bowl record to that point was 4-9-1. Up until 1998 we only participated in 14 bowl games. Since that time we've been to 12 (I think). That is amazing. Not only have we been to 12 since then but we've won most of those games. Incredible.

That team taught future Frog teams how to win. I began to wonder where some of those players are today and I hope they know how much this Frog fan appreciates them for starting TCU on this incredible stretch.

Go FROGS!!!
  • S3NATOR likes this

#2 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Kyle Clifton

• 8,621 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I wish you could put it on Youtube. Would love to see that one again. I nearly didn't go, because I didn't think we had a chance in the world to win. Thank God I did, because it was one of the top five TCU games I have ever seen. Who knew at the time that 1998 was going to be the start of such a great run.
At TCU, we turn 2-star recruits into 4-star players.

#3 Stiff Arm Frog

Stiff Arm Frog

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

You wouldn't mind converting that tape to a digital format, and then creating a torrent, would you?

Sun Bowl was a little before my time, and I've always wanted to see it.
RIP:
Daisy, LaQuisha, Billie-Joe, Dynasty, and Qu-Lin-Shi

#4 Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'll try to convert it. I'll need help creating a torrent though.

#5 Frogs1983

Frogs1983

Mike Renfro

• KMA
  • 3,775 posts
  • Interests:Most sports,Pro and College.All things TCU!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I ran across a VHS tape of the 1998 Sun Bowl. 57 Frog had it at his house and I was lucky enough to borrow it from my mom. He had several games on tape he would watch repeatedly.

Watching the game again today really drove home the fact that this game as much as any other turned this program around. CBS showed a graphic that our bowl record to that point was 4-9-1. Up until 1998 we only participated in 14 bowl games. Since that time we've been to 12 (I think). That is amazing. Not only have we been to 12 since then but we've won most of those games. Incredible.

That team taught future Frog teams how to win. I began to wonder where some of those players are today and I hope they know how much this Frog fan appreciates them for starting TCU on this incredible stretch.

Go FROGS!!!

Amen Brother!
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."~Joe Theisman

#6 One Horned Frog

One Horned Frog

Jim Killingsworth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

I was there what a feeling that was. Very similar to the rose bowl

#7 Atomic Frawg

Atomic Frawg

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

I was there what a feeling that was. Very similar to the rose bowl

It WAS our Rose Bowl until THE Rose Bowl. The citizens of El Paso showed us a lot of love.

#8 Stiff Arm Frog

Stiff Arm Frog

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

It's pretty dang easy to create a torrent. You can PM me if you'd like help. I'd be happy to, I've been wanting to watch that game for a long time.
RIP:
Daisy, LaQuisha, Billie-Joe, Dynasty, and Qu-Lin-Shi

#9 One Horned Frog

One Horned Frog

Jim Killingsworth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

I went to youtube to see if i could relive the moment and nothing...let get some sun bowl footage out there!!

#10 Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Tier 1
  • 20,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Two best bowls I have ever been to: 1998 Sun Bowl and 2012 Rose Bowl. Both were equally momentous in their time. One signaled the Great TCU Football Turnaround. The other signaled the re-arrival of TCU on the national stage.

Posted Image
These Frogs have horns!

#11 Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Don Floyd

• Tier 1
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Send a PM to B4P. He's the resident torrent wizard.

#12 frogtwang

frogtwang

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

Send a PM to B4P. He's the resident torrent wizard.

Not to be confused with the resident regular wizard...

Posted Image
He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.

#13 IMAFROGDAD2

IMAFROGDAD2

Jerry Hughes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

The 1998 Sun Bowl was the first TCU bowl game for me. Besides the game itself, I recall the annoying, repetitious Trojan March music that the USC band played continuously throughout the game. The TCU victory was not effective in silencing the din.

#14 BelushiBob

BelushiBob

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Not to be confused with the resident regular wizard...

Posted Image

That girl must be really tall.

#15 Boykin4Prez

Boykin4Prez

Bob Lilly

• Tier 1
  • 19,182 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

Please get in touch with me. I have already converted the AXA Liberty Bowl from VHS to Digital and am willing to do it for any other games so that we can all enjoy.

2tzr.png

#16 ArgyleFrog2010

ArgyleFrog2010

Kenneth Davis

• 12,661 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Two best bowls I have ever been to: 1998 Sun Bowl and 2012 Rose Bowl. Both were equally momentous in their time. One signaled the Great TCU Football Turnaround. The other signaled the re-arrival of TCU on the national stage.

when did you become an Oregon fan? :tongue:

#17 Bob

Bob

Andy Dalton

• 2,443 posts
  • Interests:Irish whisky, TCU athletics, my dog, my pickup, local wildlife, women (local or not - wild or not).

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Didn't USC have negative yards rushing for the game? Heck of a defensive performance.

Current offense would have destroyed USC.

#18 Liverlips

Liverlips

Norm Bulaich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Didn't USC have negative yards rushing for the game? Heck of a defensive performance.

Current offense would have destroyed USC.

-23 yards rushing to be exact. It was an awesome win. One of these days I plan on writing a summary of the weeks events for all you kfc.com'ers (game plan going in, USC laughing at us during pregame, Chris Claiborne making fun of us during the coin toss, Chris Claiborne not wanting to be on the field anymore at the half time coin toss, etc)

Rest assured, the guys from that team still take a tremendous amount of pride in the direction that team and that win sent the program on. And it's always great to see when it's brought up as one of the "greats" in TCU history.

#19 froglicious

froglicious

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Basil Mitchell was starting RB with LT coming off the bench. Who knew how rich we were at that position. I think Basil was drafted and played a few years at Green Bay.

#20 Annoying Group of 20

Annoying Group of 20

Rags Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Before there was this:
Posted Image

There was this:
Posted Image

KillerFrogs Sponsor