pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Green Car

http://www.greencarr...ers-perspective

This guy makes a good point. Republicans need to rid themselves of the attitude orthodoxy.

#3 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

http://www.greencarr...ers-perspective

This guy makes a good point. Republicans need to rid themselves of the attitude orthodoxy.

I don't think Republicans are necessarily against the Volt, just against the now $10,000 tax credit that is given to the average Volt buyer that makes $175k a year. The poor are subsidizing the rich...and the OWS is silent.
Low Taxes | Minimal Regulation | Stable Currency

#4 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I don't think Republicans are necessarily against the Volt, just against the now $10,000 tax credit that is given to the average Volt buyer that makes $175k a year. The poor are subsidizing the rich...and the OWS is silent.

I think a lot of Republicans have an anti-GM attitude. I also don't think most Republicans care about a tax credit. They think people are overtaxed and don't care how the taxes get cut.

In other areas, Republicans would see this credit as building a market and encouraging practical R&D, as well as ramping up production to the scale that would provide lower costs. However, this is also seen as green and undermining the oil based economy.

Unfortunately, the attitude is generally one of distrust for anything that seeks to eliminate the use of fossil fuels, is made by a company that employs union workers, or might be seen as a victory for the use of government.

#5 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I think a lot of Republicans have an anti-GM attitude. I also don't think most Republicans care about a tax credit. They think people are overtaxed and don't care how the taxes get cut.

In other areas, Republicans would see this credit as building a market and encouraging practical R&D, as well as ramping up production to the scale that would provide lower costs. However, this is also seen as green and undermining the oil based economy.

Unfortunately, the attitude is generally one of distrust for anything that seeks to eliminate the use of fossil fuels, is made by a company that employs union workers, or might be seen as a victory for the use of government.

Nope, the credit is manipulating the market and GE doesn't even care if employees use gas only, so it is not a green push. It is just a way to push more units for Jeffrey Immelt's buddy PBO. This is crony capitalism at its finest.

#6 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Nope, the credit is manipulating the market and GE doesn't even care if employees use gas only, so it is not a green push. It is just a way to push more units for Jeffrey Immelt's buddy PBO. This is crony capitalism at its finest.

So do you think your post is proof of the open attitude of Republicans toward the Volt, or proof that Republicans see the Volt as somehow supportive of Obama?

The Volt is new technology and moves in the right direction. Even if the oil business gives you a tingle, all the additional oil and gas reserves that we can tap still need to be developed and used conservatively.

There's nothing at all wrong with alternative energy. Even if it is not capable of 100% replacement now or ever, it is still viable in many places and the cost will come down. However, I still see a lot of Republicans that shun it mostly because it is not the cheapest or it seems to be a vote on global warming.

#7 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

So do you think your post is proof of the open attitude of Republicans toward the Volt, or proof that Republicans see the Volt as somehow supportive of Obama?

The Volt is new technology and moves in the right direction. Even if the oil business gives you a tingle, all the additional oil and gas reserves that we can tap still need to be developed and used conservatively.

There's nothing at all wrong with alternative energy. Even if it is not capable of 100% replacement now or ever, it is still viable in many places and the cost will come down. However, I still see a lot of Republicans that shun it mostly because it is not the cheapest or it seems to be a vote on global warming.

Nope. GE is supportive of Obama. GM is producing a car at a loss to sell to rich folk encouraged by a tax credit supported by the poor.

I have no problem with alternative energy. I just don't see why we have to manipulate the market to substantiate its existence. Same with ethonol subsidies. Someday the technology with be there and the need will be there.

#8 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Nope. GE is supportive of Obama. GM is producing a car at a loss to sell to rich folk encouraged by a tax credit supported by the poor.

I have no problem with alternative energy. I just don't see why we have to manipulate the market to substantiate its existence. Same with ethonol subsidies. Someday the technology with be there and the need will be there.

Because the market is not perfect, we have to accommodate for market failures. Anything which accelerates the scale is a good thing with benefits to the economy.

Anyway, I know it is political, because I want to buy one to screw with Republicans.

#9 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Because the market is not perfect, we have to accommodate for market failures. Anything which accelerates the scale is a good thing with benefits to the economy.

Anyway, I know it is political, because I want to buy one to screw with Republicans.

My economic theory is Austrian, which means I don't believe in "market failures." We may not like the result, but every result is due to human action.

#10 Spike

Spike

Kenneth Davis

• 9,063 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

You are painting with a very broad brush, and missing the point. I have an anti GM bias because my parents bought 2 consecutive chevrolet lemons in the late 70s. We've bought nothing but Toyotas since and they run great. If you make crap, you don't deserve to stay in business.

As george says they are screwing with the marketplace, and subsidizing the wealthy. Hard to believe that you don't have a problem with this. It seems to me that President Obama is infinitely more concerned about the environment than he is the poor.
Remember the 5!

#11 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

You are painting with a very broad brush, and missing the point. I have an anti GM bias because my parents bought 2 consecutive chevrolet lemons in the late 70s. We've bought nothing but Toyotas since and they run great. If you make crap, you don't deserve to stay in business.

As george says they are screwing with the marketplace, and subsidizing the wealthy. Hard to believe that you don't have a problem with this. It seems to me that President Obama is infinitely more concerned about the environment than he is the poor.

I don't see it as subsidizing the wealthy as much as it is bribing buyers to make a change in automotive habits by equalizing the price of the car. Once these things achieve some sort of scale, the price drops, just like with all mass market technology.

I can't add anything about old grudges. If you want to forget all about Pearl Harbor, be my guest.

#12 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't see it as subsidizing the wealthy as much as it is bribing buyers to make a change in automotive habits by equalizing the price of the car. Once these things achieve some sort of scale, the price drops, just like with all mass market technology.

I can't add anything about old grudges. If you want to forget all about Pearl Harbor, be my guest.

The average Volt buyer makes $175k per year. If you don't see this as subsidizing the rich I have no answer for you.

#13 TCUSA

TCUSA

Kenneth Davis

• 11,287 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Good lord, pcf--can you READ the friggin' missive from GE about forcing their employees to use the Volts? Again--just another scheme that requires all kinds of regulation and incentives that make the program a fraud. Do you honestly think the White House/GM/GE haven't arranged this ridiculous kabuki for propaganda purposes? How much do you think the White House has promised GE in subsidies for this program? It's ALL FAKE. Just like 90% of the left's green wet dreams, it DOESN'T WORK IN THE REAL WORLD.

#14 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Good lord, pcf--can you READ the friggin' missive from GE about forcing their employees to use the Volts? Again--just another scheme that requires all kinds of regulation and incentives that make the program a fraud. Do you honestly think the White House/GM/GE haven't arranged this ridiculous kabuki for propaganda purposes? How much do you think the White House has promised GE in subsidies for this program? It's ALL FAKE. Just like 90% of the left's green wet dreams, it DOESN'T WORK IN THE REAL WORLD.

Who said the Volt doesn't work? Maybe the force involved was centered on them overcoming their little political pissing matches and drive the best vehicle for the job.

The Volt has a cheaper operating cost and will actually help GE as they are in the electrical business and not the oil bidness.

The article says, and I quote: Stand by for shrieking from certain segments of the media about how "GE Forces Employees Into Electric Cars!"

And the shriekers shriek...

#15 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

The average Volt buyer makes $175k per year. If you don't see this as subsidizing the rich I have no answer for you.

All tax advantages tend to help people with more income. This just steers them away from fossil fuel guzzling German luxury vehicles. The states tend to like the tax revenue they get from such sales.

#16 fnfreebird

fnfreebird

Dick O'Neal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts
  • Interests:Science, Education, Scuba Sports, Boating, fishing, planning.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Who said the Volt doesn't work? Maybe the force involved was centered on them overcoming their little political pissing matches and drive the best vehicle for the job.
The Volt has a cheaper operating cost and will actually help GE as they are in the electrical business and not the oil bidness.

REALLY?

Never mind the $B did our beloved President give GM to build this great advancement in technology?

What was that real cost to operate a Chevy Volt now??

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

GM was claiming 60 - 100 miles and has to now revise that to 25-50.

Still no one is getting much more than 26-26 miles out of a charge.
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.

Far less than advertised.So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

Much less than advertised. According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity.

It takes a full 10-12 hours to charge a fully drained battery.
So try comparing this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.(on regular gas)

The volt uses premium only... current cost nearing $4.00 these days.

Oh and how about finding a place to plug it in every night either. You can't just plug it in anywhere.

It's just plain stupid in so many ways.

It is the cart before the horse.

It is premature. It's another government wasteful boondoggle.

The market, technology, rare earth materials needed and infrastructure are not in place nor nearly ready.

It's dumber than ethanol and the toxic chinese DQ light bulbs...and that is saying something.

Just a microcosm of the fantasy of the left and the ends they'll go to to make it seem real!" "The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance." — Albert
And there, in this horn, were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking pompous words. (Dan. 7 v.8)

#17 pcf

pcf

Dutch Meyer

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

REALLY?

Never mind the $B did our beloved President give GM to build this great advancement in technology?

What was that real cost to operate a Chevy Volt now??

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

GM was claiming 60 - 100 miles and has to now revise that to 25-50.

Still no one is getting much more than 26-26 miles out of a charge.
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.

Far less than advertised.So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

Much less than advertised. According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity.

It takes a full 10-12 hours to charge a fully drained battery.
So try comparing this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.(on regular gas)

The volt uses premium only... current cost nearing $4.00 these days.

Oh and how about finding a place to plug it in every night either. You can't just plug it in anywhere.

It's just plain stupid in so many ways.

It is the cart before the horse.

It is premature. It's another government wasteful boondoggle.

The market, technology, rare earth materials needed and infrastructure are not in place nor nearly ready.

It's dumber than ethanol and the toxic chinese DQ light bulbs...and that is saying something.

http://www.greencarr...evy-volt-e-mail

"The e-mail stemmed from a segment aired two weeks ago by Fox Business reporter Eric Bolling. After watching it, we could only conclude that Eric Bolling doesn't understand how the Volt works--even after driving one for a week."

Email is not your friend.

#18 fnfreebird

fnfreebird

Dick O'Neal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

http://www.greencarr...evy-volt-e-mail
"The e-mail stemmed from a segment aired two weeks ago by Fox Business reporter Eric Bolling. After watching it, we could only conclude that Eric Bolling doesn't understand how the Volt works--even after driving one for a week."
Email is not your friend.

You "could only conclude" ....NO only you and your league of deniers of truth and facts would make that ASSumption (not a conclusion)
Hey friend .... I sold the freakin cars. Who is GM trained and certified on the VOLT?
SO tell me now .... what in the heck do you know.... except what you just think you know.

NOTE: Recall rate = 100% how many times over....
Heck the home charges didn't even work right.

Your progressivism is showing.

Everyone who drove or sold one knows nothing like you ...who probably have never even seen one in person.

Freaking clueless to the MAX! Thanks again for demonstrating that to our little world again.

NOTE: Replying to my post and acting like you even have some inkling of a clue is not your friend.

Posted Image
Happy Easter.
Just a microcosm of the fantasy of the left and the ends they'll go to to make it seem real!" "The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance." — Albert
And there, in this horn, were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking pompous words. (Dan. 7 v.8)

#19 fnfreebird

fnfreebird

Dick O'Neal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

MORE cronyism and insider money laundering
Green company gets $390M subsidies, lays off 125

A123 Systems, an electric car battery company once touted as a stimulus "success story" by former Gov. Jennifer Granhom, D-Mich., has laid off 125 employees since receiving $390 million in government subsidies -- but is still handing out big pay raises to company executives.

"The company has laid off 125 employees and had a net loss of $172 million through the first three quarters of 2011," ... the company's primary customer, Fisker Automotive, is also struggling financially. "Yet, this month A123's Compensation Committee approved a $30,000 raise ...Prystash's raise was 8.5 percent, going from $350,000 to $380,000

This month has seen significant pay boosts for other A123 executives:

Robert Johnson, VP of energy solutions, got a 20.7 percent pay increase going from $331,250 to $400,000, while
Jason Forcier, VP of auto solutions, saw his pay increase from $331,250 to $350,000.

"It looks like they are trying to pad their top people's wallets in case something really bad happens," Paul Chesser, associate fellow for the National Legal & Policy Center, suggested.

The Department of Energy gave the battery company $249.1 million in grant money, while the Michigan government provided A123 with another $141 million in tax credits and subsidies.

#20 fnfreebird

fnfreebird

Dick O'Neal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Still standing by your statements PCF??
http://thehill.com/b...n-of-chevy-volt
03/02/12 03:39
General Motors has temporarily suspended production of its Volt electric car, the company announced Friday

"The Volt is new technology and moves in the right direction."

"There's nothing at all wrong with alternativeenergy. Even if it is not capable of 100% replacement now or ever, it is stillviable in many places and the cost will come down. However, I still see a lotof Republicans that shun it mostly because it is not the cheapest or it seemsto be a vote on global warming.

Who said the Volt doesn't work? Maybe the force involvedwas centered on them overcoming their little political pissing matches anddrive the best vehicle for the job.

The Volt has a cheaper operating cost and willactually help GE as they are in the electrical business and not the oil bidness.

After watching it, we could only conclude that Eric Bollingdoesn't understand how the Volt works-(who doesn't understand) even after driving one for a week.

Because the market is not perfect, we have to accommodatefor market failures. Anything which accelerates the scale is a good thing withbenefits to the economy.

Once these things achieve some sort of scale, the price drops, justlike with all mass market technology."

Posted Image

Nice try ....Looks your standing there all alone on this one old buddy.

From under the bus do tell us.

What do you think of your daddy now?

KillerFrogs Sponsor

Click here for 30% off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users