1st. the Catholic Church gets reemed, now the black school kids in D.C.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 SFA Frog

SFA Frog

Abe Martin

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,920 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

When I first found this website and started posted over at the main board, I was told by some of your own posters that it was because of the massive influx of poor Hispanics flooding into the state from Mexico. That those children were already wayyyyyyyyy behind before they got here and that their test scores bring down the test scores of the state as a whole.

Dont know how true it is,.......but that IS what I was told .

My Hispanic students are some of my best students.

Posted Image

"Duty then is the most sublime word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#22 Whisky Dude

Whisky Dude

Kenneth Davis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Maybe so,.........Im only telling you what I was told by posters over at the football board. As I said earlier.........NO idea if its true or not.
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

#23 frogtwang

frogtwang

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

A good friend of mine teaches at a Dallas elementary school and would agree 100%.
He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.

#24 Whisky Dude

Whisky Dude

Kenneth Davis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

HUH..............I wonder what it could be? Does Texas have a track record of hiring teachers that are fairly poor at their job ? I dont know myself as I dont live there. Must be some explanation for it.................
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

#25 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

So, if unions are the problem everywhere else, how do explain Texas' poor public schools?

This may shock you, but Texas does not have the best school systems in the US. But that is not the point, rather that our schools are failing us and unions are largely resistant to change. So what is the answer? Freedom from the leviathan.

I actually really like the new Mayor of Chicago, just yesterday Rahm Emanuel defended charter schools:

My goal is to give parents the ability to make a choice of where they want to send their kids. I think those are impressive results, the mayor said.

Youve got a school system that is giving you graduation rates we would marvel at almost double the system-wide [rate]. A college acceptance and a college attendance [rate] that we would actually call a touchdown in the city. Those are the results and the data you should also look at. When you want to have a perspective, Im not gonna look through one peephole.

Low Taxes | Minimal Regulation | Stable Currency

#26 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Maybe so,.........Im only telling you what I was told by posters over at the football board. As I said earlier.........NO idea if its true or not.

Yea, it's true. Iowahawk's website had a really good break out of the performance of Texas schools compared to, of all places, Wisconsin. When you take over all scores, Wisconsin is higher. However, whites in TX outscore the whites in Wisc. Blacks in TX outscore blacks in Wisc. and Hispanics in TX outscore Hispanics in Wisc. It is the percentage of each demographic that changes the over all score.

#27 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

We pay for public schools via property taxes, so a voucher program merely redirects your taxes to a different provider.

And $7500 far exeeds whatever property taxes the low-income families in question might be paying. So this program (and I favor voucher programs in the abstract) is not merely a redirection, its a govt subsidy. So those who are against such educational subsidies should be against this program.
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#28 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I actually really like the new Mayor of Chicago, just yesterday Rahm Emanuel defended charter schools:

My goal is to give parents the ability to make a choice of where they want to send their kids. I think those are impressive results, the mayor said.

Youve got a school system that is giving you graduation rates we would marvel at almost double the system-wide [rate]. A college acceptance and a college attendance [rate] that we would actually call a touchdown in the city. Those are the results and the data you should also look at. When you want to have a perspective, Im not gonna look through one peephole.

dirty liberals.....
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#29 George F. Will

George F. Will

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

And $7500 far exeeds whatever property taxes the low-income families in question might be paying. So this program (and I favor voucher programs in the abstract) is not merely a redirection, its a govt subsidy. So those who are against such educational subsidies should be against this program.

Maybe government should get out of the way...private schools have need based assistance.
Low Taxes | Minimal Regulation | Stable Currency

KillerFrogs Sponsor

Click here for 30% off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users