NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

http://townhall.com/...ping_that_booty

Are you drunk this early?

For the record, I have zero attendance policy in my classes for any day that I am teaching. I do have required attendance on days that students are presenting.

I have asked in that past that the "Newfie" designation not be used. I ask again.
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#3 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Dang, hit a nerve, huh? I'll keep that in mind. No more light-hearted humor from me.

#4 Frog79

Frog79

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dang, hit a nerve, huh? I'll keep that in mind. No more light-hearted humor from me.

Liberals don't do humor well. ;)
“Why should I make the data available to you, when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?”

-Alarmist researcher, Phil Jones, when asked to provide data to verify his apparently fraudulent global warming claims. Think these guys might have something to hide?

#5 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Prof probably had been up grading a lot of papers or was otherwise not in a good mood. Happens to all of us. Have to admit, though, had no idea a certain name got his in a wad. Oh, well. I did the think the responses Adams gave were clever and called for. Wife is a teacher and she says sometimes you just need to say what is on your mind when a kid is a jerk.

#6 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

No interest at all why he asked you not to use that term?

#7 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Prof probably had been up grading a lot of papers or was otherwise not in a good mood. Happens to all of us. Have to admit, though, had no idea a certain name got his in a wad. Oh, well. I did the think the responses Adams gave were clever and called for. Wife is a teacher and she says sometimes you just need to say what is on your mind when a kid is a jerk.

Never said otherwise.

Newfie is considered derogatory here and I consider it derogatory. I ask that you do not use it.

As for needing to say what is on your mind when a kid is a jerk, I apply the same reasoning to jerky, tasteless post titles.
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#8 FriskyFrog

FriskyFrog

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,268 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Isn't the fact that he is obviously a humorless liberal reason enough?
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
--Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons

#9 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not a clue and don't need to. It's his call and I respect that.

#10 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Not a clue and don't need to. It's his call and I respect that.

You have an interesting way of showing respect.

#11 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Never said otherwise.

Newfie is considered derogatory here and I consider it derogatory. I ask that you do not use it.

As for needing to say what is on your mind when a kid is a jerk, I apply the same reasoning to jerky, tasteless post titles.

Hey,man, easy. You are the only college professor on this board and I thought Adams article was kinda funny. It wasn't even aimed at you but things a lot of professors put up with. Go take a big dump or something and give yourself an attitude adjustment.

#12 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hey,man, easy. You are the only college professor on this board and I thought Adams article was kinda funny. It wasn't even aimed at you but things a lot of professors put up with. Go take a big dump or something and give yourself an attitude adjustment.

What were you saying about respect?

#13 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Did not know it until he said it. Guess you didn't catch that. In fact, I think I have used that term before in posts and never noticed him respond otherwise. So, you are putting the cart before the horse.

#14 RSF

RSF

Semi-Omnipotent Being

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,923 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Go take a big dump or something and give yourself an attitude adjustment.

There goes that irony meter again.....
Words to live by......an ongoing concern......

Vulgarity is like art - everybody thinks they know what it is, yet nobody can agree on what it is.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how off-base it is.

#15 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

NFF, is Newf offensive, too?

#16 Frog79

Frog79

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I don't see him getting much respect from NFF/Newfie/Newf/whatever-he-wants-to-be-called either. Works both ways.
“Why should I make the data available to you, when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?”

-Alarmist researcher, Phil Jones, when asked to provide data to verify his apparently fraudulent global warming claims. Think these guys might have something to hide?

#17 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

What were you saying about respect?

Prof probably had been up grading a lot of papers or was otherwise not in a good mood. Happens to all of us. Have to admit, though, had no idea a certain name got his in a wad

I think that speaks for itself, don't you?

#18 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Did not know it until he said it. Guess you didn't catch that. In fact, I think I have used that term before in posts and never noticed him respond otherwise. So, you are putting the cart before the horse.

It's fairly easy to go back and read what happened. You used the term, he asked you not to, you made a comment about hitting a nerve and you guess you won't make lighthearted humor.

#19 The Uniballer

The Uniballer

Darrell Lester

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I don't see him getting much respect from NFF/Newfie/Newf/whatever-he-wants-to-be-called either. Works both ways.

Do unto others, only if they do unto you first.
Nevermind the fact that NFF wasn't disrespectful.

#20 burford

burford

Kyle Clifton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

There goes that irony meter again.....

Cool. I always feel better after a good one. Don't you?

(See, humor is pretty neat when you don't get yours in a wad). But on a related point, it is kinda funny around here when you libs don't have an intelligent point to make. That is your standard response. We see it as code for "dang it! they got us again; guess all we can do now is talk about irony." :wink:

KillerFrogs Sponsor

Click here for 30% off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users