#1 TopFrog

TopFrog

• Tier 1
  • 94,440 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

FWST: Troubling suicide trend at TCU

By Bob Ray Sanders
bobray@star-telegram.com

A 19-year-old Texas Christian University honor student from Wichita Falls was found dead in her apartment last month, the victim of "an apparent suicide," according to police.

The cause and manner of death were still listed as "pending" Monday on the Tarrant County medical examiner's website, but if Mackenzie Workman's death is ruled a suicide, it would be the fifth of a TCU student in two years.

One such death of a student, especially at a campus the size of TCU, is disheartening. But to have so many in such a short period of time is alarming. Before the first incident two years ago, there had not been a suicide of a TCU student in 12 years, said Linda Wolszon, director of the university's counseling center. ...

http://www.star-tele...end-at-tcu.html

post-34024-0-74650200-1410700253.jpg

Hey, Dutch! I brought my skates!

"For all of you who think it's always about wins and losses - wrong." -- Gary Patterson

#2 NewfoundlandFrog

NewfoundlandFrog

Davey O'Brien

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,021 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

FWST: Troubling suicide trend at TCU

By Bob Ray Sanders
bobray@star-telegram.com

A 19-year-old Texas Christian University honor student from Wichita Falls was found dead in her apartment last month, the victim of "an apparent suicide," according to police.

The cause and manner of death were still listed as "pending" Monday on the Tarrant County medical examiner's website, but if Mackenzie Workman's death is ruled a suicide, it would be the fifth of a TCU student in two years.

One such death of a student, especially at a campus the size of TCU, is disheartening. But to have so many in such a short period of time is alarming. Before the first incident two years ago, there had not been a suicide of a TCU student in 12 years, said Linda Wolszon, director of the university's counseling center. ...

http://www.star-tele...end-at-tcu.html

Possible silver lining: A short term "bump"--even as bad as the present one--is not necessarily a "trend". Plus the counseling center might be able to use this to highlight positive strategies beyond just trying to reach depressed students. Most especially other students in the community--not just TCU staff--need to learn what to be vigilant for and how to proactively deal with this.
“... at night ... guarded by eighty sentinels ... Ernesto IV trembles in his room. All the doors fastened with ten bolts, and the adjoining rooms, above as well as below him, packed with soldiers... If a plank creaks in the floor, he snatches up his pistols and imagines there is a Liberal hiding under his bed. At once all the bells in the castle are set ringing ... the Minister of Police takes good care not to deny the existence of any conspiracy; on the contrary, alone with the Prince, and armed to the teeth, he inspects every corner of the rooms, looks under the beds, and, in a word, gives himself up to a whole heap of ridiculous actions worthy of an old woman." --Stendahl, The Charterhouse of Parma (1839)

Posted Image

#3 Frogs On A Plane

Frogs On A Plane

Bob Lilly

• 18,223 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Ugh oh.

#4 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Leave it to Bob Ray Sanders to stir the pot.

#5 YA

YA

Kenneth Davis

• Tier 1
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw the author. I was in a hurry, so I skimmed the piece. But it appeared that he was encouraged that TCU has the resources in place to address the issue. He went thinking they didn't and it appears to him that they do, which he acknowledged.

It wasn't a hit piece.

texashornedlizard.jpg

#6 satis1103

satis1103

Mike Renfro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw the author. I was in a hurry, so I skimmed the piece. But it appeared that he was encouraged that TCU has the resources in place to address the issue. He went thinking they didn't and it appears to him that they do, which he acknowledged.

It wasn't a hit piece.

Right. He says:

To my surprise and delight, I learned from Wolszon that TCU has several programs...

I think that may be surprising to some students too and that's part of the issue. The best services in the world do no good when people aren't taking advantage of them.
EASTSIDE!!!!

GOO!

#7 angelo's frog

angelo's frog

Andy Dalton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Did you even read it?

#8 SnoSki

SnoSki

Jim Swink

• 20,892 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Tcu's services are great in my experience. When I lost my grandfather during my first semester on campus, the counseling center somehow found out and called two or three times over the course of two weeks to see how I was doing and if I wanted to come in and visit.

We don't rent pigs!

#9 Stiff Arm Frog

Stiff Arm Frog

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

No, I think the article is far too rosey. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but I get the feeling that TCU is still trying to play damage control in the media, instead of trying to fix the problem.

From reading the article it sounds like he only had one source for this piece. That's something the Skiff would do: call up the administrator and publish the company line. What he and the Telegram need to do is go out and do some serious investigation. But all they've done after five suicides is run one fluff piece more than a month after the last tragedy.

The Telegram needs to live up to its journalistic integrity and hammer TCU on this. That's the best way to make sure the school does something about the problem, instead of trying to sweep it under the rug. I'm sure the school is concerned how that could reflect on them nationally, but they should be concerned about making sure this doesnt happen again.
RIP:
Daisy, LaQuisha, Billie-Joe, Dynasty, and Qu-Lin-Shi

#10 Rose Bowl Frog

Rose Bowl Frog

Tracy Simien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Shocking, a Bob Ray Sanders article not about race.

With that being said, Satan is not some boogeyman who resides in hell right now. He is instead according to Peter walking about on this earth like a roaring lion seeking whomever he can devour, and according to Jesus, a being that only comes to steal kill and destroy and is nothing but a liar.

Satan enters these people and deceives them with his usual lies, and because of the fall of man in Genesis our sinful natures submit to Satan's evil ways. The only way to stop the enemy is to use the authority of Jesus and His name given to us by Him at the end of Mark and the beginning of Acts. Otherwise Satan will just manipulate you and use you for his evil agenda. Satan hates man(because he hates anything created in God's image) so he will do anything to steal from us, kill us, and destroy us. People think that when we do evil Satan likes that person and appreciates it, but that's not true. Satan hates us no matter what we do.

#11 HFrog1999 (OldFreakNasty)

HFrog1999 (OldFreakNasty)

Ki Aldrich

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,574 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Tcu's services are great in my experience. When I lost my grandfather during my first semester on campus, the counseling center somehow found out and called two or three times over the course of two weeks to see how I was doing and if I wanted to come in and visit.

That's good. My Grandfather died my Freshman year at TCU and my speech teacher docked me for an assignment I missed to go to his funeral. Glad to see an improvement.

#12 Stiff Arm Frog

Stiff Arm Frog

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

That's good. My Grandfather died my Freshman year at TCU and my speech teacher docked me for an assignment I missed to go to his funeral. Glad to see an improvement.

No, the speech department still sucks. My freshman year I got sick for a week and had my grade In the class dropped from an A to a B. it's a worthless department, they have to justify their salary by lowering grades however they can.
RIP:
Daisy, LaQuisha, Billie-Joe, Dynasty, and Qu-Lin-Shi

#13 allclearforfrogs

allclearforfrogs

WC NIX III

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

To echo Hfrog, I lost 3 of my grandparents while at TCU. For one of my grandfather's funerals, I got sick off something I ate and had to spend a day in an east texas hospital. No calls from TCU, no nothing. One of my professors made me bring in a funeral program to prove that's where I was.

So yeah, glad things have improved.
bong

#14 roddog

roddog

Kenneth Davis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Satan enters these people and deceives them with his usual lies, and because of the fall of man in Genesis our sinful natures submit to Satan's evil ways. The only way to stop the enemy is to use the authority of Jesus and His name given to us by Him at the end of Mark and the beginning of Acts. Otherwise Satan will just manipulate you and use you for his evil agenda. Satan hates man(because he hates anything created in God's image) so he will do anything to steal from us, kill us, and destroy us. People think that when we do evil Satan likes that person and appreciates it, but that's not true. Satan hates us no matter what we do.

wow, this gave me goose bumps, rbf is my new favorite poster!
Posted Image
Arguing with Bonner is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, he's going to come crashing in, knocking over the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around like he's victorious. - Westsider

#15 Spike

Spike

Kenneth Davis

• 9,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've met him on several occasions, and heard him speak last night. I don't agree with a lot of what he writes, but he's a heck of a nice guy. I think his heart is in the right place even if I don't like his politics. This is a serious issue and anything that can be done to spread the word is good.

Thanks for posting the article Top.
Remember the 5!

#16 Westsider

Westsider

Charles Coody

• 1,407 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

This rates right up there with EastTexFrog and Broboy making fun of handicapped kids the other day. It really does change these posters from annoying to pathetic. EastTexFrog, Broboy Toughguy, and Rainbows. Thank god anonymity protects you.

#17 Kaiser

Kaiser

Rags Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

No, I think the article is far too rosey. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but I get the feeling that TCU is still trying to play damage control in the media, instead of trying to fix the problem.

From reading the article it sounds like he only had one source for this piece. That's something the Skiff would do: call up the administrator and publish the company line. What he and the Telegram need to do is go out and do some serious investigation. But all they've done after five suicides is run one fluff piece more than a month after the last tragedy.

The Telegram needs to live up to its journalistic integrity and hammer TCU on this. That's the best way to make sure the school does something about the problem, instead of trying to sweep it under the rug. I'm sure the school is concerned how that could reflect on them nationally, but they should be concerned about making sure this doesnt happen again.

TCU should focus less on suicide & more on global warming.

#18 oldscribe

oldscribe

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Did you even read it?

Yeah. Bob Ray pointed out that it is a nationwide problem and TCU is going at it correctly....

#19 oldscribe

oldscribe

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hmmm. What is your problem? Are you blaming TCU, or blaming the S-T? Hmmm?

#20 ArgyleFrog2010

ArgyleFrog2010

Darrell Lester

• 14,603 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Shocking, a Bob Ray Sanders article not about race.

With that being said, Satan is not some boogeyman who resides in hell right now. He is instead according to Peter walking about on this earth like a roaring lion seeking whomever he can devour, and according to Jesus, a being that only comes to steal kill and destroy and is nothing but a liar.

+1000000000

KillerFrogs Sponsor

Click here for 30% off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users