• Please log in to reply
1130 replies to this topic

#41 weklfrog

weklfrog

Darrell Lester

• Tier 1
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

Johann's full name on his papers was Johann Wilhelm Christoff. It's not very singable.

Sure it is. Just needs a little adaptation --

Johann Wilhelm Christoffheimer Schmidt,
His name is my name, too.
Whenever we go out
The people always shout,
"There goes Johann Wilhelm Christoffheimer Schmidt!"
a na na na na na na.
(repeat ad nauseum)

• inetryconydot likes this

#42 Poison Arrow Frog

Poison Arrow Frog

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Harvey would have that stupid badger sliced and diced in no time. I took him to a Rat Rally last year where the dog club that was putting it on had a course laid out that went from just getting the dog used to the smell of a rat in a cage all the way to going through underground tunnels to seek out the caged rat at the other end. Who knew you could buy concentrated rat urine to bait the tunnels with? Harvey won a certificate of merit for having a "ratty good time".

I thought it was some kind of weird bat....
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. --Friedrich Nietzche

#43 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Here's Harvey the rat dog.

#44 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

I will never forget the night I was sitting in my apartment in Fort Worth and heard a horrible screaming sound and could hear that Johann was going crazy. When I got up I saw that he had a rat that wasn't a whole lot smaller than him at the time and had just finished killing it. I was very impressed with his skills.

And that's when you moved out of your apartment?

#45 SFA Frog

SFA Frog

Abe Martin

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Sure it is. Just needs a little adaptation --

Johann Wilhelm Christoffheimer Schmidt,
His name is my name, too.
Whenever we go out
The people always shout,
"There goes Johann Wilhelm Christoffheimer Schmidt!"
a na na na na na na.
(repeat ad nauseum)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Posted Image

"Duty then is the most sublime word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#46 SFA Frog

SFA Frog

Abe Martin

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

And that's when you moved out of your apartment?

No I was evicted sometime shortly after because Johann also did not like my flooring. I didn't leave him in the crate one day and when I got home most of my carpet in my living room and linoleum in my bathroom no longer was attached to the flood. I was really, really impressed with that.

[rant]As far as the rat thing in between the first rat and my flooring being destroyed, I caught 15 rats one weekend with sticky traps. They took the field between the apartments and Wal-Mart and made it a strip mall. I think every single rodent in that field took up residence in my apartment and destroyed my pantry. I think this was over the course of two or three weeks. When my apartment people came because of the rodent infestation, they discovered that my dog had destroyed the flooring problem. One day when reporting the rats and getting more sticky traps from the office I had hypothetically asked the manager if there would a problem with replacing my flooring with laminate flooring and she had told me there was no problem. However, between the rat infestation in my pantry and the destroyed flooring, corporate decided that I was a bad tenant and instructed my complex to not accept my rent the next month. When I went to pay my rent, I was told they were instructed not to accept it so that corporate had grounds to evict me for non-payment of rent. I was subsequently served and then evicted by a Tarrant County JP and moved back on campus. I never got the laminate flooring put down and it is still sitting in my storage room 5 years later. I also was charged with $2,200 in damages to the apartment to replace the flooring. I'm still really curious what the apartments did with my $700 in deposits from moving in and having a pet. I will freely admit that he debt is still on my credit report because I refuse to pay it for the manner in which the maintenance of the apartment was conducted during my stay and the way that I was removed from the apartment.[/rant]

now back to adorable pets and such...

Posted Image

"Duty then is the most sublime word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#47 gohornedfrogs

gohornedfrogs

Abe Martin

• Tier 1
  • 16,986 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Mulligan (15 yrs. old)

Posted Image

#48 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

No I was evicted sometime shortly after because Johann also did not like my flooring. I didn't leave him in the crate one day and when I got home most of my carpet in my living room and linoleum in my bathroom no longer was attached to the flood. I was really, really impressed with that.

As far as the rat thing in between the first rat and my flooring being destroyed, I caught 15 rats one weekend with sticky traps. They took the field between the apartments and Wal-Mart and made it a strip mall. I think every single rodent in that field took up residence in my apartment and destroyed my pantry. I think this was over the course of two or three weeks. When my apartment people came because of the rodent infestation, they discovered that my dog had destroyed the flooring problem. One day when reporting the rats and getting more sticky traps from the office I had hypothetically asked the manager if there would a problem with replacing my flooring with laminate flooring and she had told me there was no problem. However, between the rat infestation in my pantry and the destroyed flooring, corporate decided that I was a bad tenant and instructed my complex to not accept my rent the next month. When I went to pay my rent, I was told they were instructed not to accept it so that corporate had grounds to evict me for non-payment of rent. I was subsequently served and then evicted by a Tarrant County JP and moved back on campus. I never got the laminate flooring put down and it is still sitting in my storage room 5 years later. I also was charged with $2,200 in damages to the apartment to replace the flooring. I'm still really curious what the apartments did with my $700 in deposits from moving in and having a pet. I will freely admit that he debt is still on my credit report because I refuse to pay it for the manner in which the maintenance of the apartment was conducted during my stay and the way that I was removed from the apartment.

They treated you badly. I remember those apartments. I had friends who lived there and they were infested with water bugs. I used to live at Marina Club, just down Overton Park Blvd. almost all the way to Bryant Irvin. We had similar problems due to the fields around there.

#49 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Mulligan (15 yrs. old)

He's good looking for such an old man! Is that an invisible fence collar or a training collar?

#50 gohornedfrogs

gohornedfrogs

Abe Martin

• Tier 1
  • 16,986 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

He's good looking for such an old man! Is that an invisible fence collar or a training collar?

Invisible fence...and it's a she. But she doesn't know she has a masculine name! That photo was taken about four months ago. She's really aged since then, unfortunately.

Poor thing can't hear her collar any more, and apparently has learned to tolerate the shock, so she just walks out of the yard on occasion.

She's on a low protein diet...do you have any tips on anything she can eat? I'm giving her 1/4 of her normal portion of Science Diet, and supplementing that with pasta or potatoes. She's really losing muscle mass.

#51 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Invisible fence...and it's a she. But she doesn't know she has a masculine name! That photo was taken about four months ago. She's really aged since then, unfortunately.

Poor thing can't hear her collar any more, and apparently has learned to tolerate the shock, so she just walks out of the yard on occasion.

She's on a low protein diet...do you have any tips on anything she can eat? I'm giving her 1/4 of her normal portion of Science Diet, and supplementing that with pasta or potatoes. She's really losing muscle mass.

Does she have kidney trouble? If so, the best suggestion I have is to supplement her with Omega 3. Go to Costco and buy the big bottle of Fish Oil from Nature Made. Give her two capsules daily. If she won't eat them, you can puncture the capsule and squirt it on her food. This might also help get her interested in her food if she doesn't have much of an appetite. I'd add more fresh veggies and fruit to her diet, instead of just potatoes. Try baby carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, apples, but no citrus. All fresh stuff, though, not canned (too much sodium...you really want to avoid sodium and calcium). Also, cranberries would be terrific because of the benefit they provide to the urinary tract and their antioxidant properties. If she doesn't want to eat a large meal, try giving her several smaller meals throughout the day if possible. You also have to make sure she's drinking lots of water. If she's not interested, make it more palatable by adding a little low sodium chicken broth to the water bowl. Put water all around the house so she doesn't have to go far to get it, too.

You might laugh at this, but acupuncture really helps dogs with kidney trouble. I was so skeptical about doing it with my then-14 year old dog, but once we started, she thrived! I got another couple of good years with her from it. It can be pricey, but well worth it in my estimation. You would need to find a holistic veterinarian to do the acupuncture, but your regular vet could help you locate one. (Interesting fact: a holistic vet has to first be certified as a regular veterinarian before they can be certified for holistic medicine, too. Not so with human acupuncturists. They don't have to hold a medical license.)

Last thing, this product would be very beneficial in helping her maintain the balance of vitamins, minerals and amino acids that her compromised kidneys are throwing out of whack.

#52 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Forgot to add to my very long reply, but when my dog finally went completely deaf I put a very small cow bell on her collar so I could hear her if she ever wandered off. Since she couldn't hear me calling her, I figured at least I'd have a chance to hear her. I found the bell in the fishing department at the hardware store. I guess it must have been made to go on a line to alert you when you got a bite, but I could be totally wrong about that. Anyway, when a dog gets that deaf, you've got to be right on top of them 100% of the time while outdoors.

#53 gohornedfrogs

gohornedfrogs

Abe Martin

• Tier 1
  • 16,986 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

Does she have kidney trouble? If so, the best suggestion I have is to supplement her with Omega 3. Go to Costco and buy the big bottle of Fish Oil from Nature Made. Give her two capsules daily. If she won't eat them, you can puncture the capsule and squirt it on her food. This might also help get her interested in her food if she doesn't have much of an appetite. I'd add more fresh veggies and fruit to her diet, instead of just potatoes. Try baby carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, apples, but no citrus. All fresh stuff, though, not canned (too much sodium...you really want to avoid sodium and calcium). Also, cranberries would be terrific because of the benefit they provide to the urinary tract and their antioxidant properties. If she doesn't want to eat a large meal, try giving her several smaller meals throughout the day if possible. You also have to make sure she's drinking lots of water. If she's not interested, make it more palatable by adding a little low sodium chicken broth to the water bowl. Put water all around the house so she doesn't have to go far to get it, too.

You might laugh at this, but acupuncture really helps dogs with kidney trouble. I was so skeptical about doing it with my then-14 year old dog, but once we started, she thrived! I got another couple of good years with her from it. It can be pricey, but well worth it in my estimation. You would need to find a holistic veterinarian to do the acupuncture, but your regular vet could help you locate one. (Interesting fact: a holistic vet has to first be certified as a regular veterinarian before they can be certified for holistic medicine, too. Not so with human acupuncturists. They don't have to hold a medical license.)

Last thing, this product would be very beneficial in helping her maintain the balance of vitamins, minerals and amino acids that her compromised kidneys are throwing out of whack.

Thanks so much! That's great advice. Yes, she does have kidney troubles.

#54 Poison Arrow Frog

Poison Arrow Frog

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

Your pics are bringing back great memories of my time in Denver (actually Westminster with work the first two years in Boulder). Just today, I snagged an opportunity to get on a panel for a conference in Denver the first week in May. Just have to see how many days I can stretch that trip (looking like 3 nites but would love to stretch another nite out of it, which would probably motivate me to bring my fly rod).

if you come out, message me! I am not much for fishing, but you certainly could.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. --Friedrich Nietzche

#55 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks so much! That's great advice. Yes, she does have kidney troubles.

You're very welcome. Hope it helps. I love geriatric dog care. The old ones are so grateful for the extra attention.

#56 Todd D.

Todd D.

Andy Dalton

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Interests:Horned. Frog. Football.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

Whenever my wife says "What do you think about having kids?" I say "Wanna go to the humane society?". I have an Ark.

Dogs: Bauer, Fiona, Brock (He's a linebacker)
Cats: Tiger, Pasha
Rabbits: Kaylee and Tam, named after the Firefly characters.

#57 Poison Arrow Frog

Poison Arrow Frog

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

Whenever my wife says "What do you think about having kids?" I say "Wanna go to the humane society?". I have an Ark.

Dogs: Bauer, Fiona, Brock (He's a linebacker)
Cats: Tiger, Pasha
Rabbits: Kaylee and Tam, named after the Firefly characters.

do you have pics of them, we would love to see them!

#58 FriskyFrog

FriskyFrog

Bob Lilly

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,268 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

Here's my puppy Sammy, named after Slingin' Sammy Baugh, graduating from obedience class. My husband convinces me to agree to dogs by saying I can name them after TCU football greats. Sammy is a goldendoodle that we rescued on the day TCU played in the Fiesta Bowl.

Posted Image
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
--Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons

#59 Todd D.

Todd D.

Andy Dalton

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Interests:Horned. Frog. Football.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

Here are a few. Can't find a pic of my other rabbit right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bauer_Fiona (Small).jpg
  • Brock.jpg
  • Group.jpg
  • Copy of Pasha (Medium).jpg
  • Copy of Tiger (Medium).jpg

#60 purpledawg

purpledawg

Dick O'Neal

• Member - Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

Here's my puppy Sammy, named after Slingin' Sammy Baugh, graduating from obedience class. My husband convinces me to agree to dogs by saying I can name them after TCU football greats. Sammy is a goldendoodle that we rescued on the day TCU played in the Fiesta Bowl.

Such a proud moment for them both! Do they still practice obedience together? Your doodle is smaller than most. And very cute!

KillerFrogs Gear

Directory

Pro Dunk Hoops

Our family-owned company has been specializing in designing, manufacturing and installing premium outdoor basketball goals since 1984.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users